Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Solo Night

Tonight I had Solo Night at my school. A few months ago, we picked out songs that we would play for our solos. I picked "Cajun Dance." After we picked out our solo, we had about a month to practice it. Sounds simple right. Wrong.
I had plenty of time to practice, but I needed to print up another copy of my song, so the judge could know I was playing everything right. Thats right, I was going to play in front of a judge. The only problem is that I slack too much.
Solo night came and I had to go to my school at 4:00 to perform in an ensemble (group). After that, I went home till 7:00, when I got back, I had to 'judge' two solos. Then it would be my turn to perform. I got to school at 4:00, and performed no sweat... ok there was a lot of sweat but can you blame me!? I have hyperH2O for cryin' out loud! After the performance I went home... just to realize I had forgotten my binder that had my solo in it at the school, and still needed to print my extra solo for the judge. My mom told me that I couldn't go get it until the kitchen was finished. Thirty minute job right? Wrong. It took two hours for me to finish the dishes because I work so slowly, and was feeling especially slacky that day. After that I quickly grabbed my drum-sticks and ran to the car. When we got back to the school, I realized I had lost one of the drum-sticks in the car when we were driving to the school. I ran in and got my binder after some time of vigorous searching. Then went home to print the copy.
When I got back to the school I still needed to 'judge' my two people. There were only two people left before me (crap) and I didn't have a pen. I was finally able to sneak a pen out of an un-weary mothers purse (went up and polititely asked for a pen). I 'judged' my two kids then performed. Apparently I did very well, and my mother got most of my performance on film. I then turned in my 'judging slip' so that I could keep my A in Percussion. I am so gonna get my drum-set (my parents told me that if I get a 4.0 for a whole semseter they will buy me a drumset).

3 comments:

Anna Banana said...

It's cool to have a brother that plays drums, and it's nice to have a brother with a great sense of humor. I love how you always say "hyper H2O." I also really want to see your drum solo, you'll have to show it to me, live. It's a good thing mom got it on video tape, we'll be able to watch it again and again (and again and again and again and again...).

mamasuisse said...

Sorry for yelling at you so much tonight over the binder and printing up the song and the drum sticks and the dishes . . . . . I've been a little cranky lately.

Your solo was the best one I heard of the night. No one else had any rhythm.

Liz said...

Good job Matthew! It sounds like you did an awesome job. What a hectic day, but at least everything turned out okay.